2942 Wilshire Boulevard
PLEASE SEE OUR COMPANION HISTORIES
FOR AN INTRODUCTION TO WILSHIRE BOULEVARD, CLICK HERE
The house at 2942, one of "five sisters" of similar vintage once on the south side of Wilshire between Hoover and Commonwealth, reveals little of itself visually. Just as had been the four houses to its east, 2942 was built by developer S. Tuston Eldridge and designed by the architectural partnership of M. Paul Martin & Neal D. Baker; while a permit for its construction was issued along with one for 2932 on August 9, 1906, work did not begin on 2942 until its permit was renewed on February 3, 1909. While a number of other names are associated with the address, the only known owner was mining engineer Thomas Edward Mitchell, in residence between 1919 and 1924. A Nova Scotian by birth, he lived for some years in Montana; prior to his arrival in California with his wife Louise and two children, the family had been living for five years in Burma, where Mr. Mitchell managed the operations of Burma Mines Limited. In Los Angeles, where he remained until his death in 1959, he was vice president of the Montizona Copper Company. Given over to commercial uses from the '20s, the house was demolished along with 2932 after permits for the work were issued on August 23, 1963.
Illustration: Huntington Digital Library