3538 Wilshire Boulevard

PLEASE SEE OUR COMPANION HISTORIES
FOR AN INTRODUCTION TO WILSHIRE BOULEVARD, CLICK HERE



Seen above in an enhanced version of architect B. Cooper Corbett's rendering, 3538 Wilshire was built at the southeast corner of Ardmore Avenue after the Department of Buildings issued its permit on March 3, 1910. Originally from Boston, James P. Burns was doing very well in shoes; his 10-room house sat on a lot with 75 feet of frontage on the boulevard. Burns spent the rest of his life at 3538, dying there in 1928. A demolition permit was issued by the city on March 2, 1956; the house's full story will be told in due course.




James P. Burns opened a store at 525 South Broadway around the time
he built his house on Wilshire Boulevard, seen below to the right of the first

first lamppost on September 19, 1941. It would stand another 15 years.




Illustrations: LATUSCDLLAPL