3508 Wilshire Boulevard
PLEASE SEE OUR COMPANION HISTORIES
FOR AN INTRODUCTION TO WILSHIRE BOULEVARD, CLICK HERE
John C. Austin designed 3508 Wilshire Boulevard in 1908, with the Department of Buildings issuing its construction permit on September 28 of that year; the house was built at the southeast corner of Irolo Street before that avenue was rerouted with a jog above Seventh Street to meet Normandie Avenue extending north from Wilshire. A permit for its demolition was issued by the city on August 9, 1955; a Carl's Jr. is on its site today next to a pedestrian mall on the path of the abandoned half-block of Irolo. The full story of 3508 will be told in due course.
|A wide view eastward on Wilshire Boulevard, circa 1949; 3508 is at far right, where Irolo Street|
meets the boulevard. This corner no longer exits, Irolo having been rerouted a block east—
behind the site of the house and through that of 3500—to meet Normandie Avenue,
which passes this side of the former Wilshire Christian Church, seen at far left.