2720 Wilshire Boulevard

PLEASE SEE OUR COMPANION HISTORIES
BERKELEY SQUARE   WINDSOR SQUARE   FREMONT PLACE
ST. JAMES PARK   WESTMORELAND PLACE
FOR AN INTRODUCTION TO WILSHIRE BOULEVARD, CLICK HERE



Born in England in 1838, Jonathan Dent emigrated to America 10 years later, the same year his wife Amelia was born in Ohio. Described, as were many denizens of Wilshire Boulevard, as a "capitalist" and as possessing his "own income" once he and his family arrived in California, Dent had apparently done very well as a coal dealer and grocer back in Columbus, Ohio. Jonathan and Amelia and their daughters, Margaret and Esther, began spending winters in Los Angeles in 1899, soon buying a house at 839 South Flower Street for a permanent move west. Mrs. Dent, who died within five years—perhaps health had been a factor in the family's winter sojourns—was described in her obituary as having been "one of the prominent women of Columbus." Perhaps family funds on her side came into play; the 80-by-150-foot Wilshire Boulevard lot to which they would move by late 1903 appears to have been purchased that August by Amelia with her separate funds. The Dents possessed the charm to have been taken up quickly by local society. If Amelia's health hadn't been compromised, perhaps it was the social whirl that did her in: She died on July 2, 1904, having hardly had a chance to issue invitations for teas and bridge parties at her new house. Jonathan and the girls stayed on at 2720, he until his death in 1917, Margaret and Esther—who that year had turned 45 and 43, respectively, and who never married—until at least 1923, by which time the die of the commercial future of Wilshire Boulevard had been cast. The Dent house may have left its corner lot with Margaret and Esther; while they were probably no longer in need of so large a place, there are indications that, in the days of frequent house-moving, the sisters may have taken their house with them when they moved north across the park to 401 South Hoover Street in the latter half of 1923. (The house that appeared on the southwest Hoover/Fourth Street corner was not there prior to 1923 and was demolished in 1971.) The Dent girls no doubt did well financially with the sale of a prime Wilshire corner with a view due north over Lafayette Park. Photographs reveal that the lot was cleared before construction began on the 13-story Arcady Apartments across the boulevard, planned as early as 1923 and not begun until early 1927. In the view at top, the Dent house is seen from Lafayette Park at far right—the house with the columned portico—when it stood on Wilshire Boulevard. At far left is the Bryson, completed in 1913; just to its right is the Mission-style 2721 Wilshire and, peering above it, a tower of the Shoreham Hotel on Carondelet Street; the towered, darker-appearing Hershey Arms, opened in 1907, is next to the right, followed by 2702 Wilshire, 2706, and the Dent house.



Illustration: LAPL