3834 Wilshire Boulevard


Built in 1908 on Lot 19 of the Western Wilshire Heights Tract, 3834 Wilshire Boulevard appears to have been a speculative venture of August R. Kloeb, then in the wholesale cigar business. The architect was Edward Kendall. Kloeb, who was later associated with businesses that manufactured smoking products and paints and who also headed a waterproofing concern, was issued a building permit for 3834 on April 13, 1908; he lived in the house only briefly, his domestic arrangements as moveable as those of his career. He sold it to banker Edward S. Pauly, who added rooms in 1911 and remained in residence until 1920. An interim owner, film director George L. Cox, added an upstairs front bay window in the fall of 1920. Dr. Edgar E. Gelder moved in by 1923, staying through the decade and likely maintaining his office as well as his residence at 3834. Not one of the lucky houses to have escaped to a new lot elsewhere as Wilshire was bulldozed for more remunerative commercial buildings, a demolition permit was issued for 3834 by the Department of Building and Safety on July 26, 1930.

In the illustration above the title, 3834 Wilshire sits across from Manhattan Place, running north from Wilshire at left, in 1925. St. Andrews Place is at the 
lower edge of the view; Western Avenue crosses Wilshire at top.

Illustration: LAPL