4656 Wilshire Boulevard
PLEASE SEE OUR COMPANION HISTORIES
FOR AN INTRODUCTION TO WILSHIRE BOULEVARD, CLICK HERE
Appearing above not on Wilshire Boulevard but on the east side of Lucerne Boulevard just below Olympic, to where it was moved in late 1946, the bungalow once at 4656 was the personal project of real estate man William Robins Flood. In residence with his wife Jean by 1925, Flood remained in the house until his death in September 1935; Mrs. Flood moved out soon after and rented 4656 to James J. Orca. Acquired at the end of the war years by Farmers Underwriters, the headquarters of whose current incarnation remains on the site, the house was relocated by the company soon after the Department of Building and Safety issued a permit on November 14, 1946. It settled at 1027 Lucerne Boulevard, where it stands today. The house's full story will appear in due course.
|1940: At left, the lot near the northwest corner of Olympic and Lucerne boulevards|
to which 4656 Wilshire Boulevard would be moved six years years later.
Fremont Place lies just beyond the trees in the background.
Illustrations: Google Street View; USCDL